With seem some really bad weather of late. Gale force winds and floods forcing many of us to take precautionary action to protect ourselves and our homes.
We have put together some top tips to help you prepare for flooding.
1. Listen out for warnings on your local radio. You can also phone FloodLine on 0845 988 1188 or visit www.environment-agency.gov.uk
2. Keep important documents (like your insurance documents) in a watertight bag, preferably on an upper level
3. Keep a mobile phone upstairs
4. If you have any pets, make sure that they are safe and upstairs
5. Place any valuable, irreplaceable items (such as photos) as high as possible
6. Keep any medication in a watertight bag as high as possible
7. In the event that your house might flood, make sure you know how and where to switch off your gas and electricity main fuse board
What to do next if you are flooded
1. If you are flooded, call your insurance company. If you are a Naturesave client, phone Claire or Krys on 01803 864390
2. We contact the insurers for you and a loss adjuster will be appointed. They will organise the relevant companies to clear out water damaged items, pump out the water, clean and organise temporary accommodation, if needed. This will all happen within the first 24 hours
3. Don’t throw anything away! Wait until you have been contacted by the loss adjuster before you attempt to do anything. If possible, take photos of all damaged items.
Who to call
Bad weather can cause us some real problems with gas and electricity. Here are some useful numbers to help you report any problems.
- Gas Emergency Contact Number: 0800 111 999
- East Midlands – Central Networks : 0800 056 8090
- Eastern Region – EDF Distribution: 0800 783 8838
- London – EDF Distribution: 0800 028 0247
- Manweb – ScottishPower: 0845 272 7999
- Midlands – Central Networks : 0800 328 1111
- Northern Electric – NEDL : 0800 668 877
- Norweb – United Utilities : 0800 195 4141
- Scottish Power – ScottishPower : 0845 272 7999
- Scottish Hydro-Electric – S&SE : 0800 300 999
- Seeboard – EDF Distribution: 0800 783 8866
- Southern Electric – S&SE: 08457 708 090
- South Wales – Western Power Distribution: 0800 052 0400
- South West – Western Power Distribution: 0800 365 900
- Yorkshire Electricity – YEDL : 0800 375 675